At what age do chickens stop laying ?

Buying, selling, eating or decorating - all about eggs!

At what age do chickens stop laying ?

Unread postby Layla » April 9th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I have had my girls for about 3 or so years five ladies atm yet since before christmas i've not seen a lot of eggs at all :smt022 .They have a well balanced diet, theres always someone moulting which i know means they won't lay cause all the goodness goes into their new feathers but surely they haven't laid their quoter ? Any thoughts pleese 'm nearly eggless :smt085
"Once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: "No good in a bed, but fine up against a wall."
Layla

Re: At what age do chickens stop laying ?

Unread postby MaisytheDobe » April 9th, 2008, 12:43 pm

Are they hybids Layla?
MaisytheDobe

Unread postby Layla » April 9th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Errr yep :smt009: is that good or bad ?
"Once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: "No good in a bed, but fine up against a wall."
Layla

Unread postby Geoff Ruck » April 9th, 2008, 4:01 pm

hybrids are mostly better than pure breeds at laying eggs :smt023
Geoff Ruck

Unread postby Rhode Runner » April 9th, 2008, 4:28 pm

Geoff Ruck wrote:hybrids are mostly better than pure breeds at laying eggs :smt023

All chickens are limited in the number of eggs they can produce in a lifetime. Hybrids are selectively bred to lay all their eggs over a shorter period. This is the reason that battereys are cleared out at around 74 weeks. These hens are then known as spent hens. Not a nice term but it means that they will be laying less eggs from then on. They will still lay some.

Pure breeds have longer periods off lay and produce their eggs over a longer period. So that they will come into and go off lay many times in a lifetime for various reasons....moult......broody.......etc. Here's a nice site to look at:-

http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/?p=229

Allan x
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are all just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love...and then we return home.

Australian aboriginal proverb.
Rhode Runner

Unread postby Wilt » April 9th, 2008, 4:37 pm

Well chickens like many other species are imprinted at birth /hatching/creation with a certain amount of eggs. And basically when they have layed those eggs thats it for laying. That's why artificially kept (Battery type) birds are terminated at 18 months as they have been used as egg laying machines, not only have they used up most of their imprinted eggs. the quality of the shell is often reduced.
I have a blue Cochin who is 10 years old and still lays. I very rarely keep birds longer than 3 years (ex-batts excluded) but this one has one wattle bigger than the other, but produces fantastic chicks, so it's worth keeping.

So I would say the upshot is the more they lay in a season the sooner they will use up their allotted/imprinted eggs. So how long is a piece of string really :smt017 :smt017 :smt016

Tim
women, where would we be without them?
Today, I am mostly interested, in chickeny things.
www.coachhousecochins.com
Chickens, are also food for the soul!
Wilt

Unread postby MaisytheDobe » April 9th, 2008, 4:39 pm

As RR says hybids have tendancy to finish laying before pure breeds as they lay their egg resources quicker.

In my little flock the two oldest hybrids who are about 3 ish have never molted until this year and carried on laying throughout the year. This year they had more of a moult and stopped laying, they came through it quicker and started laying before any of the others. The one has now stopped completely and the other one is laying very thin shelled eggs, so I assume it won't be long before she stops as well. These are hybids based on the Rhode Island Reds. The two Jasmine hybids I've got (based on the blue egg layers) although lay fairly well are not as prolific as the other two, moulted as normal and stopped laying and took longer to come back into lay, so I'm hoping they'll lay over a longer period.

Most likley they're coming to the end of their laying.
MaisytheDobe

Unread postby Layla » April 9th, 2008, 8:04 pm

Thanks guys for your advice .......it all makes sense now. will b getting some more girls in a few months to add to my very small flock.

Thanks Alan have bookmarked that site :smt023 looks real good
Layla

Unread postby Layla » April 11th, 2008, 9:51 pm

It must be "The Henopause" :smt103 :smt045
Layla

Unread postby Geoff Ruck » April 11th, 2008, 11:03 pm

:smt009: and i get moaned at for my jokes!!!!!! :smt021 :smt042 :smt042 i liked it :smt046 :smt023
Geoff Ruck

Unread postby Layla » April 11th, 2008, 11:12 pm

:smt040
Layla

Unread postby Pepper's Flock » April 12th, 2008, 1:51 pm

I have an aged, light sussex X broiler, Ive had her 6 years and she was not young when I was given her, who is still laying, not much and only one egg this year!!
One Springer.Two cats, 1 Brahma, 14 assorted large fowl, 1 ex batt, 2 pullets, and a little lavender pekin cockerel.Oh and a few fish.
Pepper's Flock

Unread postby Layla » April 12th, 2008, 2:28 pm

Oh wow i' not giving up on mine yet :smt023
Layla

Unread postby Geoff Ruck » April 12th, 2008, 2:30 pm

Layla wrote:Oh wow i' not giving up on mine yet :smt023

how old is yours ? what breeds do you have? Mr S :smt040
Geoff Ruck

Unread postby Layla » April 12th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Well Mr S I think they are 3 or 4 years old .......i have 3 that look like your x batts then i have a bluebell and a sussex star but in a few months i'm going to get a cuckoo maran a french weaten, a big buff an araucana and an appenzeller :smt040
Layla

Next

Return to Eggs