PLEASE HELP - CROP PROBLEM URGENT

Some of the most common illnesses in chickens.

PLEASE HELP - CROP PROBLEM URGENT

Unread postby TURFEY » May 18th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Hi all,

I am a newbie to your site but hoping you might be able to hep me and my ex battery chicken - I have had her for 3 months now.

Yesterday I noticed Myrtle was sat down and hunched up in the outside run and so I went to and checked her and she walked off so I thought perhaps she was having a rest.

Well later in the day I checked the chicken house and she was tucked up in the nest box with her head down under her chin so to speak.

I picked her up and brought her in and her crop was hard.

Now I did not know what to do and so this is what I have read so far on the net and don't know where to go from here and thought someone could help me.

I gave her 2 syringes of water and massaged her crop.
I kept her in the kitchen - she had a watery poo about 5 minutes later
About 10 minutes later I gave her a syringe of olive oil and massaged the crop and it seems to loosen and soften but was still a lump.

I left her for a few minutes and then I picked her up, turned her upside down and massaged her crop.
She brought up a lot of brown water and one piece of sweetcorn - it did not smell at all and then I gave her a little water.

I placed her back into the house where she settled down for the night.

This morning the crop was still quite full but not hard, her breath is not smelly and so we brought her in and gave her a syringe of water.

She has been out with the others today and when I checked her this evening her crop feels gritty if that makes sense.

What do I do now - shall I take her to the vet
Do I seperate her for a few days and give her fresh water and live yogurt
Do I give her white maggots to clear the blockage
There are so many things on the net - do this, don't do this and I just want to do what is best for my lady and I don't want to loose her.

Please help

Kelly
TURFEY

Re: PLEASE HELP - CROP PROBLEM URGENT

Unread postby MaisytheDobe » May 18th, 2009, 10:53 pm

If the next day some of hardness of the crop had gone, then the blockage could be clearing.

Take a look at this thread it'll give you some information viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3996&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
MaisytheDobe

Unread postby Ducklady » May 18th, 2009, 11:08 pm

I'm no expert but when I was a newbie I had two chickens die with compacted crops. When the second one died my dad cut her open and found she was full of long grass. We ensure we cut our grass weekly now so it doesn't happen again.

I know it will not help you sort your chook out but it may be long grass that has caused the problem.

Hope she soon gets better.
Ducklady

Unread postby Layla » May 18th, 2009, 11:29 pm

try some olive/veg oil and gently massage her crop ...sadly I lost my best buff recently ...good luck
"Once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: "No good in a bed, but fine up against a wall."
Layla

Unread postby Rhode Runner » May 19th, 2009, 3:57 pm

Two different things Kelly:-

Sour crop

The crop feels squishy. The breath smells foul.

Compacted crop

As DL says often caused by long grass getting impacted in the crop causing a blockage.

As MTD says try the link there is lots of info on there. Any other questions or observations please come back. :smt024

Good luck with your bird. :smt023

Allan
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are all just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love...and then we return home.

Australian aboriginal proverb.
Rhode Runner

Unread postby TURFEY » May 19th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Hi all,

Many thanks for your advice, the crop is hard like a golf ball size and does not smell. It feels like a bean bag - all gritty when I give her olive oil and then massage it.
She also pooped a bit of water, droppings and some grit so not sure if she ate too much grit.

She is happy in herself and I want to know if she will be okay if I take her out of the run for 24 hours and withold her food and just give her water and keep massaging her crop?
TURFEY

Unread postby Anjela » May 19th, 2009, 8:30 pm

Sounds like you are getting there. As long as she is happy and perky she should be OK but if she starts to look sad, hunched up and tail, down you might have to re-think.
Good luck with her.
Anjela

Unread postby Brahmagirl » May 19th, 2009, 8:31 pm

Yes, that is what I would do - isolate her, so that you can monitor her droppings, don't give her any food for 24 hours, just water, this will give an opportunity for the crop to empty itself. You could check and massage the crop gently if you feel it is helping.

Best of luck with her - sounds like you have done well so far.
Araucanas, Barnevelders, Brahmas, Columbian Blacktail, Derbyshire Redcaps, Marans, Salmon Favorelles, Welsummers, cross-breeds and too many cockerels!
Brahmagirl

Unread postby Rhode Runner » May 19th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Sounds like you may be winning Kelly. Good advice from the others on here. When she recovers keep her away from long stalks of tough grass.

Allan
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are all just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love...and then we return home.

Australian aboriginal proverb.
Rhode Runner

Return to Common Ailments.