Pyle/ Splash Wyandotte

Breeding, genetics, sexing? Or, questions about the breeds themselves?

Here's the place to ask away

Pyle/ Splash Wyandotte

Unread postby Woodland Hen » May 16th, 2013, 6:30 pm

Hi All

As I decided to keep my Blue Partridge Cock this year I need to start to make the most of him.
Previously he has only been penned with Gold females (because all the blues hatched ended up being male) but I do not have one Blue Partridge Pullet.

Am I right in thinking Blue Partridge x Blue Partridge will give 50% Blue Partridge, 25% Gold and 25% Splash birds?

And if the Splash birds go back to gold you get 100% Blue?

I have a lot of work to do here as the type of the birds is good, but they are too small at present and the lacing on the females need to improve. At the moment he is in with my largest gold hens to start working on the size. What is the best way to start, work on getting better sized Blue Partridge, or just get a reasonable Splash bird ASAP so you can start to get a better number of Blue Partridge to choose from.

Anyone have images of what a good Splash should look like?

I guess I could then get a blue silver penciled, buts that is probably a leap too far for now.

Thanks!
Silver Pencilled & Partridge Wyandottes, Barred Plymouth Rocks
Woodland Hen

Re: Pyle/ Splash Wyandotte

Unread postby Hen-Gen » May 17th, 2013, 9:27 am

Interesting questions, WH.
In order to avoid confusion I would like to tease out different terms. Firstly try to avoid the word 'lacing' in this discussion. Lacing is found in Silver Laced etc which is a clear gold or silver feather with an edging of black, blue or white. The markings in your birds are better referred to as pencilling, ie. two or three black, blue or splash bands on each feather. Also I'd avoid crossing gold and silver birds. It then takes ages to get well marked birds.
Your mating predictions in terms of Blue Partridge X Blue Partridge are correct. You would expect 50% Blue Partridge, 25% Gold Partridge and 25% Splash Partridge. Because you want to improve the size of your birds the way forward depends on selecting the best breeders in this respect. Whether thats Blue Partridge X Blue Partridge or Blue Partridge X Gold Partridge is secondary as either mating gives 50% Blue Partridge. Maximising of size also depends on avoiding excessive inbreeding. Buying in an unrelated Partridge cock will improve vigour and therefore size. Inbreeding often results in size reduction.
I've never seen a Splash Partridge bird. How precisely the pigments are deposited in the growing feathers and therefore how contrasting the overall look is I don't know. Many of these novel colours are unpredictable. I have at the moment one female chick (5 weeks old) that is Blue Silver Crele - a colour combo that I have never seen before. (A combo of Silver Duckwing Welsummer, Blue Jersey Giant and Cuckoo Marans). In two years time I plan to use her and her Blue Silver Duckwing sisters to breed a whole batch of Blue Silver Crele birds to see just how varied this colour combo is. At present we do not know just how much variation can occur. Similarly with your birds. How precise or blurry the pencilling can be is a bit unknown at present.

This site currently blocks pictures so I can't show you.
Poultry, sanity in a mad world!
Sheep, insanity in a rational world!
Hen-Gen

Unread postby Woodland Hen » May 17th, 2013, 11:02 am

Thanks Hen-gen, and will refer to it as penciling from now on....must have been a slip of the keyboard.

I don't want to cross the silver and gold birds as am happy with both in their own right at the moment.

So at the moment I have the 2 largest gold hens I have in with the blue cockerel, they both have good type and penciling, hatch what I can this year with a view to breeding something larger for use in the future. I will work on the size and type first then the colour .....I think!!!.......

Would that be the best starting point?
Silver Pencilled & Partridge Wyandottes, Barred Plymouth Rocks
Woodland Hen

Unread postby Hen-Gen » May 17th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Sounds like a good plan. The old saying is. 'It's type that makes the breed and colour that makes the variety'. So without type you just have mongrels (which I'm happy with but most folk are not!).
Poultry, sanity in a mad world!
Sheep, insanity in a rational world!
Hen-Gen

Return to Breeds and Breeding