Swedish Black Hens - Swart Hona

Breeding, genetics, sexing? Or, questions about the breeds themselves?

Here's the place to ask away

Swedish Black Hens - Swart Hona

Unread postby dorinda » November 1st, 2011, 6:02 pm

As we now have another black bird lover in the PG and for those that haven't been on the forum long and so haven't yet had the chance to be bored rigid by my Svart Hona photos!! -

The Swart Hona and Ayam Cemani have the same Breed register - Julia Keeling, I've got another two breeders getting birds at the national, which makes 5 of us - I'm pleased that the breed have taken off so quickly - they are (as are Ayam Cemani) getting a mention in a future copy of Fancy Fowl - all good publicity.. If anyone wants to join the breeding project for next year - please do contact me!!
12 Breeds
BOB Cochin Scottish national 2010, 2011, 2012 2014 and Reserve 2014 Best opp size Brahma 2012, 2014, BOS Welsummer 2014, BOS German Langshan 2014 Best AOV True 2014 Best Shamo 2014
dorinda

Re: Swedish Black Hens - Swart Hona

Unread postby Billysbirds » November 1st, 2011, 6:03 pm

Brilliant birds, so stunning an ver special 6E.gif
My name is Aaron I keep Serama in straight and silkied feather type. Also keep Tnn in black and cuckoo and booteds in porcelain and gold millie
Billysbirds

Unread postby andoy » November 1st, 2011, 8:02 pm

very nice Dorinda. I'd say Ayam ceymani look more "gamey" in shape than the Swart Hona, but will be interesting to see them side by side :smt038

Don't forget to print some cards to say what they are!
andoy

Unread postby sue666 » November 1st, 2011, 8:03 pm

What gorgeous birds, love the beautiful tail on the cockerel. I have black Jersey Giants and the sheen from black feathers is sooooooooo attractive.
sue666

Unread postby l2a2mlam » November 1st, 2011, 8:06 pm

with the colouring of the bottom picture it looks like that fella has been cast in stone. But really like the look of them, smil12.gif
what are they like temperamentwise?
l2a2mlam

Unread postby dorinda » November 1st, 2011, 8:37 pm

I've also been asked to print out the Breed standard - managed to get it translated from swedish to english (thanks to a FB friend) Julia has put it into "real" English - this will be the first time they've been seen by the exhibition world!! in fact not many people have seen them in real life (except at chicken village) !!wonder what they will make of them :smt017 :smt017 - one thing for sure is that they are proving to be very good layers and their eggs are eyewateringly huge !! - the ayam cemani is much more a game bird, as you say, than the Svart Hona which is much more a Utility bird (but I personally didn't like my meat looking as though it was already burnt before it was cooked) the flesh is a very dark grey colour!! bad.gif bad.gif at least the Rare breed Judge knows about both Ayam cemani and the Svart Hona, as it's him that's doing the article in FF :smt023 My only worry is that the male will moult!! with only 2 adult males in the country hatched in august 2010 - ... I might just be pushing it a bit!! smiley3.gif smiley3.gif if not I'll show one of this years males (5 males hatched this year - one since culled) I'm going to have to be ruthless in culling any with any that aren't perfect!!
12 Breeds
BOB Cochin Scottish national 2010, 2011, 2012 2014 and Reserve 2014 Best opp size Brahma 2012, 2014, BOS Welsummer 2014, BOS German Langshan 2014 Best AOV True 2014 Best Shamo 2014
dorinda

Unread postby gwylltcymru » November 1st, 2011, 10:01 pm

The cockerels are stunning!
Very eye catching birds Dodo!!
Breeder of Black, Cuckoo and White Booted Bantams
http://www.bootedbantamswales.co.uk
Frizzle Society Secretary
Also Call Ducks
gwylltcymru

Unread postby HappyHens » November 1st, 2011, 10:08 pm

WOW they are beautiful! 2.gif

In the top picture the cockerel looks like he has a petrol like sheen to his feathers with greens and purples...Is that just the picture or is he like that in real life?

Can't wait to see them at the show!
HappyHens

Unread postby dorinda » November 1st, 2011, 10:48 pm

A real Black bird should shine beetle green - not a blueish petrol colour - as to their temperament - I was seriously worried to begin with - they are flighty as youngster (and I hate that with a vengeance), but as they grow older they have become quiet and very well balanced birds - unfazed by anything.. my only worry at the moment is that the first British chicks were hatched in August last year - and still haven't had a moult - the tail feathers are naturally looking a bit "weathered" I just have to hope they hang on to them for another 16 days (thanks for reminding me MTD) :smt009: :smt009:
12 Breeds
dorinda

Unread postby MaisytheDobe » November 1st, 2011, 11:13 pm

No probs Dodo 1z.gif , and I've got a load to do as well, and thats before I even get to my own birds 31.gif

I've watched the Swart Hona grow up over the last 12 monts, and its nice to see how they've gone through the flighteness and settled down, the birds are a real credit to you.
MaisytheDobe

Unread postby chickensaregreat » November 1st, 2011, 11:34 pm

I still find them really interesting and very different anything I've seen before, it was really nice to see them in the flesh in the summer and I hope you get a good response to at the National :)
CAG 2.gif
My Girls (and boys) keep me going through the week ~ always cheerful!!!

Wanted 2 - 3 lavender pekin pullets - could probably take younger so long as sexed and off heat!!
If anyone knows of any anywhere please please e mail me or send me a private message.

Thanks a lot!!
chickensaregreat

Unread postby Chris Kurzfeld » November 2nd, 2011, 9:30 am

Beautiful Dorinda 6E.gif - another black bird lover here - just bought a trio of black Barbu D'anvers, had the choice of a few colours but the black really stood out and I couldn;t resist 2.gif
Chris
I would be unstoppable - if I could just get started!!
Chris Kurzfeld

Unread postby happychick » November 2nd, 2011, 11:05 am

Stunning, I am starting to wish I hadnt joined this forum there are so many birds out there that I didnt know existed, but I am learning so so much ,my wish list is getting bigger and bigger.
happychick

Unread postby J.Robinson » November 2nd, 2011, 8:59 pm

Hi Dorinda

I see a pair of these in a sale not far from me a few months back. They were in the catalogue as ayam cemani. I had never seen or heard of them before. They fetched £100.

Nice looking birds
Jamie
J.Robinson

Unread postby dorinda » November 2nd, 2011, 9:15 pm

They would be Ayam Cemani - there are a few more about than we think - but the Svart Hona I have here are the first - they are much cobbier - like a fav bantam - I need another few reputable breeders like you Jamie - fancy a little trio of eggs for next year?????
12 Breeds
dorinda

Next

Return to Breeds and Breeding