Egg peritonitis - anyone had a hen recover?

Get help quickly from members online

Re: Egg peritonitis - anyone had a hen recover?

Unread postby Rhode Runner » July 27th, 2008, 4:58 pm

Rhode Runner wrote:Very encouraging to see some improvement Linda. I hope that it continues. Peritonitis is usually fatal, but not always so. You can only do the best for her and hope.

I think good advice is not too many treats. Fat birds are susceptible to, prolapse, egg binding and egg peritonitis. Many keepers like to give their birds lots of treats. Of course the birds love it but it is not always in their interest.

Allan x

Sorry Linda. I wasn't getting at you. Just General advice. I hope things are improving with your hen.

Allan x
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are all just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love...and then we return home.

Australian aboriginal proverb.
Rhode Runner

Unread postby LindaN » July 27th, 2008, 5:18 pm

Rhode Runner wrote:
Rhode Runner wrote:Very encouraging to see some improvement Linda. I hope that it continues. Peritonitis is usually fatal, but not always so. You can only do the best for her and hope.

I think good advice is not too many treats. Fat birds are susceptible to, prolapse, egg binding and egg peritonitis. Many keepers like to give their birds lots of treats. Of course the birds love it but it is not always in their interest.

Allan x

Sorry Linda. I wasn't getting at you. Just General advice. I hope things are improving with your hen.

Allan x

Allan - I never thought that you were :) I actually agree with everything you say, and I wasn't expecting Ruby to survive at all at the beginning. Each day and each minor improvement is a blessing I think
Linda

Sussex (Light, red and buff), Silkies (White and Red),Polish (WC and GL), Slash Cochin, Black Araucana, Sablepoot, Dorkings (Red and SG), speckeldy, and Ex batt ladies
LindaN

Unread postby Layla » July 27th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Devonmaid wrote:Oh Daphne, so sorry to read about your little hen.

yes sorry too :smt056
hugs L
"Once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: "No good in a bed, but fine up against a wall."
Layla

Unread postby daphne » July 29th, 2008, 12:34 pm

thank you all, I've got all the hurt out of the way now. Friend has apologised (OH read him the riot act), crying over the hen was probably crying over my Dad, we buried her yesterday and it was the right thing to do and we did it well, I've slept properly, we've been out walking and I'm generally enjoying things for the first time in ages. THANKS ONE AND ALL :smt039

Linda - I now have my fingers firmly crossed for your girl. Here's hoping, the worry is corrosive I know. :smt039
daphne

Unread postby Rhode Runner » July 29th, 2008, 8:36 pm

We're always there for the bad times too Daphne. I'm pleased to hear that you are feeling a little better. :smt056

Allan x
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are all just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love...and then we return home.

Rhode Runner

Unread postby earl grey » July 29th, 2008, 9:55 pm

Glad you're enjoying things again, funny how everything comes to a head then gets better.... life is an odd thing sometimes...keep having fun with your hens, most important...
earl grey

Unread postby Rhode Runner » July 29th, 2008, 10:01 pm

What's the news on your bird Linda? I hope she is feeling better.

Allan x

Rhode Runner

Unread postby LindaN » August 4th, 2008, 12:58 pm

Ruby just got better and better - the vet was really pleased when we saw him last Monday, and gave her a final week on AB's. She went back into the main run and was gaining weight and started reestablishing her position as top hen.

Then sadly on Friday my hubby just found her dead (he had checked them about 30 mins earlier and she had come running for her corn with the rest.) I suspect her heart just gave out. A very sad outcome.
Linda

Sussex (Light, red and buff), Silkies (White and Red),Polish (WC and GL), Slash Cochin, Black Araucana, Sablepoot, Dorkings (Red and SG), speckeldy, and Ex batt ladies
LindaN

Unread postby earl grey » August 4th, 2008, 2:00 pm

A very brave hen, she did her best, that's all you can ask of a body...
earl grey

Unread postby Rhode Runner » August 4th, 2008, 2:38 pm

So sorry to hear your sad news Linda. :smt022 Especially as it seemed all your efforts to get her well were paying off. You couldn't have done any more for her.

Allan x

Rhode Runner

Unread postby Devonmaid » August 4th, 2008, 10:11 pm

Awww, I'm so sorry :smt056
DOES THE NOISE IN MY HEAD BOTHER YOU?
Devonmaid

Unread postby Layla » August 4th, 2008, 10:18 pm

Sorry Linda :smt056
"Once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: "No good in a bed, but fine up against a wall."
Layla

Unread postby Brahmagirl » August 5th, 2008, 7:43 am

So sorry to hear that - you couldn't have done more for her.
Araucanas, Barnevelders, Brahmas, Columbian Blacktail, Derbyshire Redcaps, Marans, Salmon Favorelles, Welsummers, cross-breeds and too many cockerels!
Brahmagirl

Unread postby Chris Kurzfeld » August 5th, 2008, 9:19 am

Oh, I'm so sorry Linda :smt056 .
Chris
I would be unstoppable - if I could just get started!!
Chris Kurzfeld

Unread postby daphne » August 12th, 2008, 12:08 pm

yes, me too - sorry I didn't see this until today. But you know you gave her all the tlc in the world, and thats what counts. We can't always change the outcome but we can make the process as good as it can be - and thats what you did for her.
daphne

Previous

Return to Poultry Clinic