Constipated hen!

Get help quickly from members online

Constipated hen!

Unread postby Heather. » January 15th, 2008, 3:11 pm

Hi, I am new to the Poultry Garden site, and have been advised that this is a really good site for friendliness and information! I wonder if someone has some advice regarding a constipated hen, she's ex intensively farmed, and her friends that came with her are fine, but she has problems sometimes! I bathed her for 30 mins on Sunday, and she's resting in an stable on a corn diet, as i read this was best? Today she has started sounding somewhat as if she's straining again, and i want to cure her once and for all, if possible. Sorry to have such a delicate subject for my first posting, but you know how it is with poultry!
Look forward to communicating with someone, Cheers, Heather.
Heather.

Re: Constipated hen!

Unread postby Anjela » January 15th, 2008, 3:24 pm

Yes, we know how it it. There is a constant worry about what goes in one end and then what comes out the other plus all the traumas with what goes on in the middle.

Sorry can't help but someone else will be along soon.

Welcome to the forum, and remember no question is silly if you don't know the answer :smt023
Anjela

Unread postby Rhode Runner » January 15th, 2008, 4:20 pm

Hello Heather welcome to The Garden :smt039 :smt039 Nice to have you here.

I don't think you were well advised to give her corn. Corn is not easily digested and tends to firm up droppings. What makes you think it is constipation? If it is the fact that she is not passing much poo it could be a stoppage in the crop. Check her crop in the morning. If it feels hard and you can feel the food in there the bird is crop bound. This is often caused by the bird eating long stringy grass that forms a ball in the gizzard.

Treatment for Crop Bound

The earlier that you discover the problem the easier it will be to solve. First put the bird in a pen that will not allow him access to any food including grass and dirt . Take some ordinary plain
( unflavored ) yogurt, the natural kind, and mix it with some cool water to make it syringeable and squirt it down his throat several times a day . You might want to mix a small amount of Vit & Elec with it as well . Massage the crop vigorously to mix the contents with the yogurt . Keep doing this until he starts to pass the feed. He should be cleaned out within 24 hours . Next take a hard boiled egg and mix the yogurt with it and feed it to him for the next 24 hours. When he is passing this feed without any problem bring him back on a mixture of the feed that you normally feed mixed with the hard boiled egg and the yogurt until over a few days he is eating and passing the feed without difficulty. Then put him on his regular feed. During this time the bird must have plenty of fresh water with Vit&Elec in it as well.

Stay away from using bread,milk,and oils as they are hard to digest at this time when the digestive system is under such stress.

If the problem is constipation feed her a little olive oil through a syringe.Also give her some greens well shredded. Keep her isolated and warm.

Come back if there is anything else and let us know how things progress.

Allan x
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are all just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love...and then we return home.

Australian aboriginal proverb.
Rhode Runner

Unread postby Heather. » January 15th, 2008, 6:39 pm

Thank you for the advice Allan, I will begin carrying it out in the morning. I feel sure it is constipation, although I thought about her perhaps being egg bound at first. I like happy chooks, and she is, most of the time, but sounds very mournful at times, and I can see she is trying to pass something. I suppose I must be doing things right, normally, as I have 112 chickens, and "Connie" , short for "constipation", [ I am afraid, I have an ex -nurse's black sense of humour! ] is the only chicken I have ever had this problem with!
I would like to take this opportunity to thank my good email friend, Son of Eddy, for recommending this site to me! Cheeres, Ann, speak to you soon.
Many thanks,
Heather. :smt024 :smt117
Heather.

Unread postby Brahmagirl » January 15th, 2008, 6:43 pm

Hi Heather, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you've got a problem with your hen. Allan has given really good advice there - be sure and check her crop in the mornings to see if there's food in it - this will let you know if that's the problem.

Is she laying? There's no problem with trying to pass an egg is there?

Yoghurt (natural plain bio live) & porridge oats mixed together is an excellent food when there's a problem with the digestive system. If you're sure its constipation that the finely shredded greens would be a good thing to give her.

Do hope you get her fit & well soon. Do let us know how she goes on.

Jill
Araucanas, Barnevelders, Brahmas, Columbian Blacktail, Derbyshire Redcaps, Marans, Salmon Favorelles, Welsummers, cross-breeds and too many cockerels!
Brahmagirl

Unread postby Wilt » January 15th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Hi Heather and welcome to the forum. I can only agree with the sound advice given to you so far. I would agree with Alan on the fact that corn drys the fluid from the chicken. If you establish it is not a crop problem. I would suggest giving her some normal layers pellets. It would probably help if you were to give them a coating of cod liver oil. The pellets will be easier to digest. And cod liver oil aids the passage, and will help with plumage.

All The Best

Tim
women, where would we be without them?
Today, I am mostly interested, in chickeny things.
www.coachhousecochins.com
Chickens, are also food for the soul!
Wilt

Unread postby Son of Eddy » January 15th, 2008, 8:05 pm

Heather if all else fails give her picalax, then stand well back. :smt047 :smt031
Son of Eddy

Unread postby Heather. » January 15th, 2008, 9:11 pm

Hi Brahmagirl,
No, she hasn't laid an egg for about 3 days, So i was treating her for being egg bound. She loved the warm, soapy bath, and almost went to sleep being dried with the hair drier, and seemed alright for a day, but no egg. However, I will check her crop in the morning, and see where I go from there.
Thank you for your concern,
Heather. :smt020
Heather.

Unread postby Heather. » January 15th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Ha! Ha! Son of Eddy! I have seen the result of Picolax on patients! I can't get the image out of my mind now, thanks!
:smt020
Heather.

Unread postby Heather. » January 15th, 2008, 9:18 pm

Thank you, Tim, I can see the treatment I use hinges on checking the crop in the morning, which I will do. It is nice to have people of like minds to "speak" to, and I will let you know what happens.
Many thanks,
Heather. :smt039
Heather.

Unread postby Rhode Runner » January 15th, 2008, 10:48 pm

If it's egg bound Heather look here:-

http://p103.ezboard.com/ffeatheredfrien ... D=15.topic

Allan x
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are all just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love...and then we return home.

Rhode Runner

Unread postby Heather. » January 16th, 2008, 9:30 pm

Well, I felt Connie's crop this morning, and it was empty, so no problems there, and there was a king sized poo in the stable,plus she has been happier today, with no sorrowful noises! I am hoping that Allan's signature of "It will pass- whatever it is" has proved prophetical! I am hoping that it doesn't re-occur, but if it does I am armed with good advice for next time.
I will write some more about my chooks in a day or two, and i also have some rare colour Lemon Pyle Brahmas to advertise for sale, which I will do. One other strange thing- my white male turkey has gone broody, and sits on the Rescue girls eggs when they lay them, he lets me take them away, and waits for more eggs to be laid, when he repeats the performance, even throwing straw over his back, like a hen! Anyone else come across this?
Cheers,
Heather. ;-) ;-) ;-)
Heather.

Unread postby Rhode Runner » January 16th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Good news Heather. Pleased to hear that your bird is feeling better. :smt023 You could get an awful lot of eggs under that turkey. :smt009:

There are a few feather legged lovers on here so maybe they will be interested in your Brahmas. Good luck. i hope Connie continues to feel good.

Allan x

Rhode Runner

Unread postby Brahmagirl » January 16th, 2008, 9:43 pm

So glad to hear everything is working OK with Connie! Thanks for letting us know.

I've never kept turkeys - but I would love to be seeing your boy's behaviour with the eggs !! Obviously trying to make himself more endearing to you, in case he's on the long-term dinner menu!
Araucanas, Barnevelders, Brahmas, Columbian Blacktail, Derbyshire Redcaps, Marans, Salmon Favorelles, Welsummers, cross-breeds and too many cockerels!
Brahmagirl

Unread postby Heather. » January 16th, 2008, 10:37 pm

Snowy's behaviour is certainly weird, we hatched him and his bronze brother from eggs, 18 months ago, and they have always been very tame, climbing on my lap to have a nap every afternoon, when they were small enough! Someone gave me 2 turkey hens to go with them, but the boys both continue to show off to myself and OH, and i have never seen them treading the hens at all! I think i may have ruined them for life, bringing them up like that, Snowy seems very confused as to his gender right now, and I am wondering how long it will go on, as it's been over a week now. Oh, well, they certainly keep me on my toes here!
:smt017
Heather.

Next

Return to Poultry Clinic