Hen with flystrike.

Get help quickly from members online

Hen with flystrike.

Unread postby Anne » August 14th, 2010, 12:31 pm

I had a hen with flystrike this week.She is eleven and a half. By the time I found her she hand hundreds of the damned things and her bottom was such a state bless her! I considered culling her as it was so bad but decided to try to treat it and keep a close eye on her .

I had some stuff called Spot-on which I got from the vet years ago and couldn't see anything to say not to use on chickens. I only squirted a tiny bit - about 0.5mls on the area and gave her some metacam - painkiller- and baytryl. After about 30 mins the maggots were dead and I sprayed her with purple spray. She looked very poorly all day with her feet to the side but by evening they were tucked under her. She was moving around the garden but only to get into the shade. I gave her some more baytryl in the evening and half expected her to be gone by morning - but no - she is gradually getting better - not eating much but is stronger and is able to try to run away when I go to give her more baytryl bless her.

Hopefully she will continue to improve. The spot - on has a spreading effect so hopefully would have got any that were inside her - I think by now she would have died if they were still alive. It's four days. Of course the warm damp weather has a lot to answer for as far as flystrike is concerned. it_thumbdown.gif
Anne

Re: Hen with flystrike.

Unread postby Ducklady » August 14th, 2010, 2:15 pm

So sorry to hear about your chook. Do the maggots only live in a wund or did she have poop on her? One of my hens poops when brooding so I bath her and trim her vent feathers as I'm worried about fly strike. I though maggots only ate necrotic flesh and left good flesh alone.

:smt017

Hope someone can clarify this for me.
Ducklady

Unread postby Anne » August 14th, 2010, 4:24 pm

Certain maggots eat only necrotic flesh but the common bluebottle - which is the culprit for flystrike - isn't that disciplined. All they need is a mucky, moist warm area and they lay their eggs. Wounds also attract them. The whole cycle is 1-2 days so it can cause havoc really quickly. The old formulation of jeyes fluid used to kill maggots and disinfect the wound in one - vets didn't like it as they thought it caused pain to the animal but I am yet to see that - the animal is usually so realieved to be rid of the ba**ards - it was brilliant. The new stuff is totally useless - I realised that when dowsing a sheep a few years ago, taking the maggots off by hand , only to see them crawl back to the wound they had inflicted - swimming through the Jeyes fluid!!!

It is important to get the animal on antibiotics if possible as the maggots dig deep! Purplespray is good though if you can aim it in the wound to make sure it penetrates - a very good antiseptic. I also use crovect for the sheep but I am going to ask the vet if it can be used for chickens - I don't know if it would interfere with the viability of eggs and meat though - I would imagine it would as it has a residual effect . It can be used for prevention as well a treatment.
Anne

Unread postby Ducklady » August 14th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Thanks Anne. I'm glad you knew I meant to type wound! - doh!

I have some purple spray (gentian violet) is it a disinfectant as well? I thought it was just a colour to hide the red. I haven't had maggots yet but I'm glad I keep bathing her bum. She hasn't got runny poops but does poop when sat down brooding. I'm fed up of putting her in a wire cage to un broody her. I will look daily at her vent now. Thanks!
Ducklady

Unread postby newchickontheblock » August 14th, 2010, 10:59 pm

The green bottle causes flystrike as well.

These damn flys seem to be causing a lot of people problems this year. me included.

Have just taken a look at my bottles of purple spray DL. i think the one Anne uses is probably the Septi Clense by Nettex which is an antiseptic spray with violet, it has a bactericidial action. i use this on my ponies & guineapigs too. Ive also got the Gentian spray which I use to cover any red, but dont find this sticks as well as the Septi Clense. Still trying to clean it of my boy whos going to a show in a few days. :smt013

The maggots these flies lay are really, really tiny - OH spotted a couple on a hen we've got a problem with at the mo.
newchickontheblock

Unread postby Anne » August 15th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Yes it is septi-clense NTONB - although apparently the normal purple spray ( gentian violet) is supposed to be an antiseptic too . As you say - terrible to get off and goes on forever! Hope you manage to get it off before the show. She is so much better today - what a miracle.
Anne

Return to Poultry Clinic